One of Iceland’s most versatile cooking ingredients has to be the creamy yet tangy, cultured dairy product ‘Skyr’. Hailed as the new healthy alternative to yoghurt, Icelandic Skyr has a rich, dense character and smooth velvety texture and is both high in protein and calcium yet unbelievably it has 0% fat.
Fresh Skyr can be used in both sweet and savoury recipes and its natural tartness makes it the perfect companion for sweet and sour ingredients. Now available in the UK and USA, Skyr is one of Iceland’s most covetable exports and an essential element in any authentic Icelandic menu. Why not give Skyr a try with this delicious dessert recipe by Hotel Rangá – a perfect choice for a summer dinner party as it can be made ahead of time.
Skyr with oat crumble & berries
for 10 people or more
1 litre of heavy cream
2 vanilla pods
6 gelatine leaves
1 kg pure organic Skyr
250g butter (room temperature)
250g brown sugar
1. Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl with cold water and let it soak
2. Put the cream in a large pan with the sugar and vanilla pods and bring it to a boil
3. Take the pan from the heat. Drain the water from gelatine then and add the softened gelatin to the pan of cream, mix well
4. Allow the mixture to cool down to 40-45 degrees before adding the skyr
5. Stir the Skyr carefully
6. Leave the mixture to cool for one hour then pour into individual bowls to serve
Method Oat Crumble
1. Mix all the ingredients in an oven proof bowl
2. Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees
3. Bake for 10 mins and then stir well, then allow to bake for a further 10 mins and remove from oven and cool
Once cool serve the Skyr topped with fresh berries and the crumble mixture.